Prep time 5 mins | Cook time 25 mins | Total time 30 mins
1 small head cauliflower (580 g), large stems removed, florets separated
2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) olive or grape seed oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (9 g or 1 1/2 Tbsp)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
Heaping 1/4 tsp sea salt
optional: 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth (for adding more flavor to pasta)
12 oz (340 g) linguini or fettuccini (ensure vegan friendly | sub gluten free pasta to keep GF)
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil (use extra virgin here if you have it for more flavor)
3 cloves garlic, skin removed + smashed NOT minced (9 g or 1 1/2 Tbsp)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (reduce for less heat)
2 Tbsp (8 g) fresh chopped parsley, plus more for serving
2 Tbsp (17 g) toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving
1/4 cup (20 g) vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Salt + Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C).
- Add cauliflower to a mixing bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.
- Once your cauliflower has reached the 10-minute mark, add 2 cups vegetable broth (for added flavor | optional) and about 4-5 cups water (or however much to generously cover your pasta) to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, season well with sea salt and add pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and cook according to package instructions for ‘al dente’ – 7-10 minutes – then drain and set aside. Cover with a towel to keep warm.
- Heat the same large pot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 cloves smashed NOT minced garlic. Sauté 1-2 minutes on both sides, or until garlic is fragrant and slightly golden brown. Remove garlic from pan and let cool slightly, then mince. Set aside for serving.
- Next add red pepper flakes to infuse the olive oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta, parsley, pine nuts, minced garlic, vegan parmesan cheese, cauliflower, and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and sample pasta. Adjust seasonings as desired, adding salt or pepper if necessary. Serve hot with additional parsley, red pepper flakes, pine nuts and vegan parmesan cheese. Best when fresh, though leftovers keep for a few days covered in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave, or on the stovetop in a large saucepan in a bit of olive oil.
Toss to coat, then spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, flipping/stirring once at the 15-minute mark to ensure even cooking. Sample and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
Courtesy of www.minimalistbaker.com